[Gvsig_english] TIP for use of gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- Java upgrade on Ubuntu causes gvSIG not to run

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Wed May 5 06:23:18 CEST 2010

Hi,

There was a recent upgrade of Java on Ubuntu 9.10.

When my system upgraded it deleted the system version being used by gvSIG. I
have upgraded my Java version so I could get Sextante to work with the
original gvSIG program.

Since gvSIG directly references the Java version being used this may result in
your copy of gvSIG not working. If you are using OADE gvSIG this is not a
problem as it has a copy of its own it references.

If you find you can't open gvSIG try editing the gvSIG.sh file in the /bin
directory - locate the line that references Java and point it at the right
directory. As I run OADE 2010 also I just pointed it to the Java version being
used by OADE 2010, hence stopping future system updates preventing the program
from working.

--

Cheers Simon
Simon Cropper