[Gvsig_english] Map Scale

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Sun Nov 7 00:21:54 CET 2010

Hello. In your last-but-one message there is a missing URL, I think?

Maybe I'm missing something too, but I think this trick might help you:

- decide the scale you want for the final (possibly printed) map. In my example, I have chosen 1:1000.

- create a view, set your feet-based SRS in it (in my example, ESRI:102723) and keep the meter as the map unit (yes, this is a contradiction)

- add your layer to the view. In my example I have added this WMS layer:

server URL: http://gis1.oit.ohio.gov:80/wmsconnector/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/osip?
layer: CuyahogaCO (which includes the city of Cleveland, OH)

I have also zoomed to an area that shows some tennis courts.

- then create a map and add a the view to it and in the scale combo box, choose "Scale specified by user" and type the scale denominator you wanted multiplied by 3.281 (because 3.281 feet = 1 meter). In my example, I typed 3281 (1000 * 3.281 = 3281).

- then add a text element with the "true" scale (in my example, 1:1000)

And that's it, if you print the map (for example on A4 paper), the scale will be the originally desired scale. You can see my final PDF here:

http://www.prodevelop.es/files/fm/public/downloads/documents/tennis.pdf

The tennis courts will be about 24 mm long on the paper, while their true size is 23.8 meters, so the scale is truly 1:1000.

Regards,
Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio
---
Prodevelop SL, Valencia (España)