[Gvsig_english] gvSIG Mobile workspace - getting "WMS image error" after trying to load files from WMS

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Mon Oct 4 12:45:43 CEST 2010

Hello, Marcel.

All the URLs in this message can be tested directly in a web browser. In one of my tests using a web browser, this URL returned a very ugly Java stack trace:

http://www.gis.nrw.de/wms/DGM50?REQUEST=GetCapabilities&SERVICE=WMS&EXCEPTIONS=XML

But in other attempts, the response was OK (a XML file with the server capabilities)

This request works too (using the German EPSG;31429):

http://www.gis.nrw.de/wms/DGM50?REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.0&LAYERS=DGM50&SRS=EPSG:31492&BBOX=2495820.074603175,5597231.470778579,2715995.7222222225,5803033.633983327&WIDTH=338&HEIGHT=317&FORMAT=image/jpeg&STYLES=&TRANSPARENT=TRUE

This request returns a blank image, which I think is caused by a bug in the WMS server:

http://www.gis.nrw.de/wms/DGM50?REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.0&LAYERS=DGM50&SRS=EPSG:4326&BBOX=6,50.5,8.5,53&WIDTH=300&HEIGHT=300&FORMAT=image/png&STYLES=&TRANSPARENT=TRUE

The coordinates of the requested box are BBOX=6,50.5,8.5,53 which I think are correct and that should return an overview of that German state. Here is an example using the same coordinates with a different WMS server:

http://osmwms.itc-halle.de/maps/osmfree?SERVICE=WMS&&REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&LAYERS=grenzen&SRS=EPSG:4326&BBOX=6,50.5,8.5,53&WIDTH=752&HEIGHT=499&FORMAT=image/jpeg&STYLES=default&TRANSPARENT=TRUE

So I think that WMS server says that it can provide maps in EPSG:4326, but it cannot, so you'll have to use EPSG;31429. Unfortunately, gvSIG Mobile 0.3 is unaware of that projection, so the GPS arrow will not be placed correctly. Distance and area measurements will work correctly as long as you choose a projection whose map unit is the meter (for example the Italian EPSG:3003)

I have tested that WMS server from the gvSIG Mobile 0.3 workspace in Eclipse and it worked fine choosing EPSG:31429. Have you tried that option?

As for the log file, yes you are right, that problem should be more visible in the log file, that's our fault.

Go to Launcher.java and replace this line:

Logger.getRootLogger().setLevel(Level.WARN);

with:

Logger.getRootLogger().setLevel(Level.ALL);

Perhaps that'll show more messages.

Regards,
Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio
---