[Gvsig_english] QUESTION gvSIG -- Image files with fast rewrites

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Tue Sep 14 17:20:54 CEST 2010

Hello, Simon.

Yes, I have seen reasonably fast GeoTiff/TIF files. You will probably get one of those by using the parameters suggested by Jukka Rahkonen.

As for the comparison between image formats, I have done myself some tests, and my current opinion is this:

JPG/JPEG: very good compression ratio but very poor performance in terms of speed and memory consumption. Should be used only for long term storage or with very small images (for example, less than 5 megapixels, wich includes tiles, as Google Maps does). Should not be used either for very large images (for example, more than 50 megapixels) because the amount of memory needed to manage them can be really scary. For small images, it can be faster than ECW.

ECW: very good compression ratio and very good performance in terms of memory consumption and speed. Good for any image size. It's based on the wavelets algorithm, and I suspect they have optimized significantly their computations thanks to many years of experience and very skilled C++ programmers.

JPEG2000: Uses wavelets too, but in my (little) experience it's significantly slower than ECW, probably due to lack of optimization.

GeoTiff, TIF: Lots of different options when creating them. Very resonable performance, I would say, though not as good as ECW in terms of compression ratio and speed.

As far as I know, JPG and ECW can only store RGB images, while GeoTiff can manage other interesting data types (long integers, float, etc.)

I don't know the details, but I think one needs to acquire some kind of license from Erdas (owner of the ECW format) when creating very large ECW images (more than 170 megapixels, I  think) for commercial purposes.

When I talk about compression ratio, I'm assuming a similar level of lossiness.

Another relevant format is MrSid, which I pressume is very similar to ECW, but less popular.

All in all, yes, I would say ECW is the best when using RGB images and deserves recognition.

Regards,
Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio
---
Prodevelop SL, Valencia (España)