[Gvsig_english] QUESTION gvSIG -- Image files with fast rewrites

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Tue Sep 14 14:52:29 CEST 2010

Hi Juan Lucas,

On Tuesday 14 September 2010 6:41:13 pm Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio wrote:
> - If I remember it well, the gdal you get by using apt-get or similar does
> not include the ECW compressor, but I think the binaries from the FWTools
> website do, though I cannot test it right now:
>
> http://home.gdal.org/fwtools/FWTools-linux-2.0.6.tar.gz
>
> Your experience suggests otherwise?

Ubuntu GDAL libraries keep resetting to version without ECW. Even the Ubuntu
FWTools has reset. I keep setting up the system only to have it reset by
itself.

> Which error message do you get when trying to create a ECW?

None really. It is just that the library does not recognise ECW format.

> gdal_translate -of ecw image.jpg image.ecw

Yeap. I found similar examples on the GDAL site and several HowTo websites.

The only way to get the FWTools to work was install it on a Windows machine
then using the export tool.

> - Have you tried compressed TIF?

No. Is it fast?

Do you know of anyone who has compiled a matrix of image formats against
compression, retention of image integrity (~loss of detail) and rewrite time
while panning (particularly in gvSIG)?

ECW files are touted as the best compression-image quality retention-rewrite
combination: certainly in Australia it is the primary format used in natural
resource management by consultants and government agencies. Is this hype, or
does the format really hold the title?

--
Cheers Simon

	Simon Cropper