[Gvsig_english] copying shape file layers

Simon Cropper (The fosGIS Workflow Guides) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Tue Aug 2 08:01:46 CEST 2011

On 02/08/11 15:44, Klaus Schaefer wrote:
> BTW, what are you using this kind of "copy" for? Right now I cannot think of
> a practical use...?

As an example.

Say you have a polygon shapefile of a reserve showing the boundaries of
the various types of vegetation and the quality of that vegetation.

You could create three instances of the same shapefile in the
Table-of-Contents.

The first shows the vegetation type and is styled accordingly.

The second shows the vegetation quality and is styled accordingly.

The third is a combined vegetation+quality style.

Now you can create a single map, with a the trimmings (e.g. grid, north
arrow, logo, etc), and change what is shown in the map quite easily by
turning on and off any of the above-mentioned variously styled instances
of the same shapefile.

For me this is quite common practice. My vegetation reports require
separate maps showing vegetation, quality and a combined view. This
makes it easy.

The alternative is to make several views and associated maps. Lots of
more work and up keep!

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper
    Website Administrator
    http://gis.fossworkflowguides.com
    The fosGIS Workflow Guide
    (c) Simon Cropper CC-BY-SA 3.0 Australia
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/au/deed.en