[Gvsig_english] copying shape file layers

Simon Cropper (The foss Workflow Guides) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Tue Aug 2 08:15:02 CEST 2011

On 02/08/11 16:01, Simon Cropper (The fosGIS Workflow Guides) wrote:
> On 02/08/11 15:44, Klaus Schaefer wrote:
>> BTW, what are you using this kind of "copy" for? Right now I cannot think of
>> a practical use...?
>
> As an example.
>
> Say you have a polygon shapefile of a reserve showing the boundaries of
> the various types of vegetation and the quality of that vegetation.
>
> You could create three instances of the same shapefile in the
> Table-of-Contents.
>
> The first shows the vegetation type and is styled accordingly.
>
> The second shows the vegetation quality and is styled accordingly.
>
> The third is a combined vegetation+quality style.
>
> Now you can create a single map, with a the trimmings (e.g. grid, north
> arrow, logo, etc), and change what is shown in the map quite easily by
> turning on and off any of the above-mentioned variously styled instances
> of the same shapefile.
>
> For me this is quite common practice. My vegetation reports require
> separate maps showing vegetation, quality and a combined view. This
> makes it easy.
>
> The alternative is to make several views and associated maps. Lots of
> more work and up keep!

Just a warning. This practice is OK when you view files. If you try
editing an instance while another instance is being viewed in the same
or alternative view (or map from memory) then weird things happen.

So the best practice is to finish all your edits then style your various
instances. If you need to edit a file, ensure ALL COPIES/INSTANCES IN
THE ToC ARE UNSELECTED and the computer is not trying to render the
shapefile somewhere else why you are playing around with the table or
geometry.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper
    Website Administrator
    http://www.fossworkflowguides.com
    The fossWorkflow Guides
    (c) Simon Cropper CC-BY-SA 3.0 Australia
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/au/deed.en