[Gvsig_english] copying shape file layers

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 09:11:41 CEST 2011

> I would only suggest to make it clear to any user of gvSIG. For
> example a
> warning or info message could pop up, either directly when copying the
> layer or when modifying layer data when is has been copied. It is a
> matter of
> "user friendliness" of software. Of course, I agree, "hard core users"
> may find this absolutely unnecessary...

Such a message would get very annoying after a short time.
Obviously, a compromise must be found between the interests
of beginners and advanced users.

Maybe it would be possible to introduce a configuration setting
which could toggle between "novice" and "advanced" GUI modes.
It would be possible to allow/disallow certain action, modify
GUI entries and display more or less warning messages, depending
on the mode that gvSIG is running in.

Technically, this would be relatively simple to do.
But it would require some careful analysis of user behavior
and common problems for novices to be effective.

The downside would be that any documentation or tutorial would
have to take into account both possible GUI modes. So we
would have to be very careful about not creating too many
significant differences.

If there is real interest in implementing this, then we could
use the gvSIG CE Wiki to sketch out a plan collaboratively.

Best,

Ben