[Gvsig_english] extCAD and OpenCAD extension

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at gvsig.com
Tue Aug 30 12:26:59 CEST 2011

El 30/08/11 11:06, Benjamin Ducke escribió:
> Hi All,
>
> I am a bit confused about the status of "extCAD" in the
> gvSIG SVN and the OpenCAD extension by Cartolab. As far
> as I can see, OpenCAD is a replacement for "extCAD".
> However: it lives in its own OSOR SVN.

Authors can explain better but in short, OpenCADTools is an evolution of
some specific CAD tools developed some time ago for a vertical gvSIG
application, that were later adapted for newer versions of gvSIG (1.9)
and for general use.

> So is OpenCAD a fork of extCAD? If it's not, then why
> not just merge OpenCAD into the gvSIG SVN and maintain
> it as the new "extCAD"?

Yes, it's a fork but is updated with extCAD adding more functionalities,
and in close coordination with core team. Some of them are (or have
been) part of the gvSIG Technical Steering Committee.

It's planned to substitute extCAD by OpenCADTools, but as a part of the
core of gvSIG Desktop we first need from some of the current copyright
holders to accept the gvSIG CLA. As two of them are public
administrations, and we are in summer, this process is taking more than
expected.

> Are the patches to "extCAD" in the gvSIG SVN
> being mirrored in OpenCAD, so that it will be
> save to overwrite "extCAD" in gvSIG 1.11/1.12 with
> OpenCAD?

Yes for the first, not sure about the second, I assume that yes.
OpenCADTools developers can add more details if they wish.

Regards

--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
gvSIG Team at Prodevelop