[Gvsig_english] calculate direction of a defined slope to walk

Sebastian Vogel bird15 at gmx.de
Fri Dec 2 13:08:36 CET 2011

Dear GIS-users,

I have a little problem to solve and I could need some new ideas to do that. When you calculate slope using a GIS the slope value of a grid cell mostly refers to the angle in the downslope direction. However, when I walk down a mountain I normally would not go that strict downslope direction of highest slope. Instead I rather go down nearly parallel to the contour lines to decrease the slope I have to overcome even though the path to walk will be much longer now.
Hence what I would like to calculate is: I define a certain constant slope angle I would like to walk from a specific point on a mountain slope and now I would like to calculate the direction of the path I have to walk.
I hope I could make to point and I would be very happy if somebody would joint in a fruitful discussion.

Thank you very much in advance
thebestion