[Gvsig_english] The gvSIG-portal - two remarks

Victor Acevedo vacevedo at gvsig.com
Mon Feb 21 13:33:30 CET 2011

Wolfgang Qual escribió:
> Dear all,
>
> the gvSIG-portal (http://www.gvsig.org/web/) is helpful and good - no
> question. You can find links to the most things that are related to the
> gvSIG-project. However, I do have some remarks on what could be improved:
>
> * the start page of the portal is in Spanish - this is a problem for
> non-spanish speakers. I think that there are ways to tackle this
> language question by some html-code (the page should be opened in
> English, if the page is accessed in a non-Spanish-speaking country). If
> this is not possible, choose English as the standard language. It's just
> a little improvement, but it has some symbolic power

You're right, it's something we had and we lost, I'm working to get it back.

> * The Portal is technically ok, but it's not that attractive to someone
> who does not know the project. There are other examples that show how it
> could be done (personally, I really like the qgis-portal:
> http://www.qgis.org/). The first page should really welcome interested
> people. Add some pictures, something personal, etc. I do not know, if
> it's possible with plone. But it would have some effect, no question.

You're right again. The problem is that among those who worked on the
development of the portal, there is no one who is a designer, and
unfortunately we do not have much taste (as demonstrated). A few weeks ago
a designer offered to lend a hand with the design of the website so
I hope that soon we will be able to change the website interface.

> Best
> Wolfgang

Best,