[Gvsig_english] 3D Extension. CALL FOR TESTING

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 13:35:03 CET 2011

Hi Nicklas,

most Linuxers prefer NVIDIA chipsets, because that
company keeps its drivers for Linux in sync with
Windows and Mac OS X, and thus they tend to work better.

Also the open source drivers for NVIDIA seem to be
better than those for ATI hardware. But that can all
change soon. There is a lot going on with the ATI
open source drivers at the moment, and ATI is getting
better at providing open source programmers with
documentation.

Having said that, I am running Catalyst 10.11 on an
HD4200 chipset and it's working great (apart from
minor issues with Compiz and fullscreen windows).

I really suggest you browse phoronix.com and the forums
if you are interested in getting more out of your ATI
card under Linux.

Ben