[Gvsig_english] gvSIG 1.10 not working properly with PostgreSQL/PostGIS

Klaus Schaefer EH TZA klaus.schaefer4 at giz.de
Fri Jan 14 12:57:48 CET 2011

Hi folks,

I have to complain that gvSIG 1.10 seems not to work properly with PostgreSQL/PostGIS at all! I've tested it with the versions:

Windows 7 professional, 64bit
gvSIG 1.10

PostgreSQL 9.0.2-1, compiled by Visual C++ build 1500, 32-bit
PostGIS 1.5.2

as well as

PostgreSQL 8.4.6-1, compiled by Visual C++ build 1400, 32-bit
PostGIS 1.4.2
and
PostGIS 1.5.2

Whenever I try to export a vector layer to PostGIS the following error is issued:

null
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Can't overwrite cause
    java.lang.Throwable.initCause(Throwable.java:320)
    com.iver.cit.gvsig.exceptions.visitors.ProcessWriterVisitorException.(ProcessWriterVisitorException.java:11)
    com.iver.cit.gvsig.fmap.drivers.jdbc.postgis.PostGISWriter.process(PostGISWriter.java:192)
    com.iver.cit.gvsig.ExportTo$WriterTask.run(ExportTo.java:200)
    com.iver.andami.PluginServices$1.construct(PluginServices.java:405)
    com.iver.utiles.swing.threads.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:108)
    java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
null
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Can't overwrite cause
    java.lang.Throwable.initCause(Throwable.java:320)
    com.iver.cit.gvsig.exceptions.visitors.ProcessWriterVisitorException.(ProcessWriterVisitorException.java:11)
    com.iver.cit.gvsig.fmap.drivers.jdbc.postgis.PostGISWriter.process(PostGISWriter.java:192)
    com.iver.cit.gvsig.ExportTo$WriterTask.run(ExportTo.java:200)
    com.iver.andami.PluginServices$1.construct(PluginServices.java:405)
    com.iver.utiles.swing.threads.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:108)
    java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

The result is that the table and the attributes are created, but no data gets imported! This is due to "\" -characters being content in some (text field) attributes. When removing these "\"-characters the export works. However - the spatial reference (EPSG:32767) is lost, so the result is of no use in the project.

Using the shapefile to postgis plugin to import an existing shapefile into PostGIS gives a better result: The "\"-characters are kept and also the spacial reference (EPSG:32767) is set properly. This table seems to be fine when used as layer in gvSIG.

But finally - in any case - if I export a shapefile- or postgis-layer to another shapefile, again the spacial reference is not being set properly there (as in the previous case, it claims to be EPSG:32767, but the coordinates refer to some indefinite values...).

I will continue experimenting around the PostGIS interface. Since I'm a gvSIG user only (not a gvSIG developer), I see much work left for some bug fixing! I'm not sure if I can use the current gvSIG release in production, as I'm facing several other unresolved issues which I also posted here, too. Sorry for saying this..

Best regards

Klaus Schäfer
Advisor Regional Administrative Secretariat, Water Sector

GIZ Tanzania  | German Development Cooperation
P.O. BOX 324  | Moshi, Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Mobile: +255 (767) 500 892
klaus.schaefer4 at giz.de | www.giz.de

Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH;
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Bonn und/and Eschborn, Germany;
Handelsregister/Registered at: Amtsgericht Bonn, Germany, HRB 18384, Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main, Germany, HRB 12394;
USt-IdNr./VAT ID no.: DE 113891176;
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Hans-Juergen Beerfeltz, Staatssekretaer/State Secretary;
Vorstandssprecher/Chairman of the Management Board: Dr. Bernd Eisenblaetter;
Vorstand/Management Board: Dr. Christoph Beier, Adolf Kloke-Lesch, Tom Paetz, Dr. Sebastian Paust, Dr. Hans-Joachim Preuss, Dr. Juergen Wilhelm