[Gvsig_english] Fwd: PostGis + 3D extension

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 16:47:24 CET 2011

Your questions are not naive at all.
They touch a problem that many GIS users increasingly face.

The problem is that the roots of GIS are in digital cartography,
which is a 2D discipline. So the GIS datamodels were all originally
designed for 2D, including the vector model. Raster elevation
layers served the purpose as simple pseudo-3D models ("2.5 D").

As time went by, more and more people from "3D fields", such as
geology created a demand for real 3D data management, so capabilities
to load, view, and (to a limited degree) add 3D data was introduced.
And some GIS (such as GRASS GIS) also learned a limited amount of
3D analysis.

But many fundamental GIS aspects, such as topology, remain firmly
in the 2D domain, and it will be a long time before that changes,
because 3D topological relationships are a whole lot more complex
than 2D ones. Currently, 3D remains an "add-on" to GIS, that works
more or less well (and then there is 4D, but let's not even get
into that).

Polygons versus more complex 3D shapes are a good example. By
definition a polygon is a planar construct. Anything more complex than
that must be sub-divided into simpler polygons (usually 3D triangles),
so the GIS vector model can handle them. E.g. a TIN is just a collection
of simple triangles. And any other shape can also be decomposed into
triangular "faces".

Things are a little more simple for 3D volumetric rasters (voxels),
since they have an easy structure. The only open source GIS that
can currently handle voxels is GRASS GIS.
Through SEXTANTE and the GRASS GIS interface, we have access to the
GRASS voxels tools in theory, but the GUI interface must be extended first
to allow voxel inputs and outputs.

-- And I don't think the gvSIG 3D extension handles voxels yet (?)

Cheers,

Ben