[Gvsig_english] PostGIS + gvSIG 3D extension

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Thu Jan 20 00:03:26 CET 2011

Hallo all

Sorry for cross posting, but I think it is worth mentioning that PostGIS
and gvSIG is in good sync right now.

PostGIS aims to get out version 2.0 next summer with new 3D geometry
types and functions (besides a lot of other goodies) and gvSIG is
working on an extension to render 3D maps.

Today I have had things working quite well because of great assistance
from gsSIG devs that supplied the latest patches to the jdbc driver.

There is still some way to go before everything runs smooth, but it was
really great to see the geometries turning around.

Also the animation worked great , but I don't think it was possible to
record it as file. But I have just played around some, so I might have
missed something.

Since POLYHEDRALSURFACE is not understood by gvSIG I just used st_dump
to split it to separate polygons instead.

Of course I then had to try ST_3DShortestline.

It looked nice I think.

In the attached pictures is two 2D geometries and the shortestline.
Since I splitted the geometries to separate polygons there is one
shortestline from each polygon in one geometry to each polygon in the
other.

Regards

Nicklas