[Gvsig_english] Why gvSIG CE came about & CLA

Francisco José Peñarrubia fpenarru at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 14:40:06 CEST 2011

Hi Wolfgang.

We have a serious problem if here in this list there are people who
doesn't know the purpose of the Association....

The main goal of the Association is to maintain alive gvSIG!!!. And how?
Well, there is a lot of volunteer work, but also money is needed to
maintain gvSIG and keep it growing.
So, the companies inside the Association (not hte honour members) are
putting money for gvSIG!!. We pay a percentage of our projects to
maintain gvSIG.
I think is a bit dissapointing to me (as part of the Association) if
this is not well understood.

Several days ago I was thinking we should explain better the model to
other people AND projects. Because many of them asked how is it possible
having gvSIG like we have (growing), but other projects have many problems.
My proposal was to write a post in gvSIG's blog, but also, explain the
model well in other forums (economical forums or others). People from
Grass, or from 52 North, or from INSPIRE asked us how all of this is
possible.
And it took time to explain well, but they got surprised about it.

I think is a very naive approach to think about SL as something operated
as (only) volunteers. There many many aspects to push if we want to
reach success, at least in my opinion.

There are some projects that uses other models (University for GRASS, or
QGis, or Geoserver pushed by a company, or Linux, or Apache Foundation,
or Eclipse Foundation....) Each project has its own particularities, and
it depends a lot of having a very powerful community behind, or people
in universities, etc). For us, we think the model chosen is the reason
gvSIG may survive.

And this is only about the economical model. We can talk a lot about the
organizational model, and I agree there are many aspects that we should
do better, especially about contributions (from inside and from
"outside" (I don't like this classification, forgive me)). But I know
there are many people trying to change this bad (old) behaviour, and we
should give them an opportunity. I believe we need rules (think about
Linux and Linuz Torvalds rules.... he is a very heavy filter....) but I
agree, the rules should be adapted, and that's other people are doing
right now.

Been optimistic, I don't want to have a fork... but at least, the fork
will help to clarify many things arround the project, and will make us
better.

So, remember: we need to explain the Association better. Is not
something bad, is good for all (in my opinion).

Best regards.

Fran.