[Gvsig_english] Why gvSIG CE came about & CLA

Francisco José Peñarrubia fpenarru at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 15:36:44 CEST 2011

TSC (Technical Steering Comitee) is a list of people (public) where
technical discussions go on. People in this list is invited not taking
care about the company, but about its commitement with gvSIG project.
I think José Antonio Canalejo is there, and I think Ben is there (or
should have been invited).

When TSC want to approuve something, it makes a proposal to board. The
board is goup of people (representing different views of the project:
developers, testing, users, stategical) and they vote proposals. Again,
there is no requirements to be part of the Association to be in board.

About SVN: Several years ago, I was one of most angry people about
"closing" SVN, and now the situation is different (not perfect, in my
opinion, but I know people in board are trying to change this... beacuse
in TSC there was a proposal to change it). You can have SVN write access
if you have contributed to the project some patches, but (now) you can't
put your own patches IF we are in stabilization mode. Now, we are not,
so we can use write permissions. When stabilization period begins
(September), the patches will be revised more carefully in order to
don't break something just before the stable release (otherwise, it will
not be stable....).

Today, there are more companies contributing to the project, and also
there are more personal contributors sending patches (many thanks to
them, BTW. Myself too, I contribute in my spare time :-p). And one of
them has been Benjamin, of course... and besides of many thanks to him,
we should say also sorry for our faults about not fullfill his
requirements. Myself, again, I suffered some disappointments like him,
so I understand a bit his reasons. (But don't think is a good idea to
fork, at least now. I asked (as others developers consulted by CE
people) a bit of pacience to see the results of new protocols). There
are also other developers that have sent their patches, and we agree in
TSC we should do much better about been more agiles with those
contributions. So, thanks to them, and sorry as well.

I have tried to answer your questions. Hope it helps.

Anyway, these are only my personal opinions. CE people have their
opinions, and we should respect them, but I think it will be better for
all to wait and see. And if they can't wait, well, good luck. In this
case, gvSIG may loose contributors, but I hope we (as people) will still
be able to put controversial aside, meet in GIS events, and have some beers.

Best regards.

Fran.