[Gvsig_english] How to add elevation values after convert a SRTM into countour lines

María Ten materod at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 12:05:39 CEST 2011

Someone asked us to how to add elevation values after convert a SRTM into
countour lines a tutorial [1] of our Youtube's Channel. As far as I can't
answer him into Youtube comments system (because the answer is too long),
I'm going to translate his question here and answer it hoping it will be
useful to others users too.

Question:

"very good, but I was wondering how to extract a one shp 3D, because when I
use the command line in the image conteur SRTM, the curves are in 2D, so I do
not have to keep up your tutorial, do not appear to operation elevation

Otaciliorayo"

And the answer is:

I guess you are trying to convert a STRM to a countour lines shp to follow
this tutorial and you didn't get elevation values. You can follow this
steps:

1) Load the SRTM file into a 2D view of gvSIG.
2) Use the sextante command to convert it into countour lines shp file.
3) Click on the new shp file with second button of the mouse and select
"Properties".
4) Into "Layer Properties" window select "Categories" and "Unique values"
and then, select the strm layer into the field "Classification Field". Press
"Add all" button and "Accept".

This action adds a new column into shp table with the elevation of each
countour automatically. You can change the name of the column or the values
into the view table of gvSIG and save the shp file. Now, you can follow the
tutorial usign the new column as the elevation value.

This works for me, I hope it works for you too.

Regards,

[1] gvSIG 3D .Convert contour lines shp into digital model of elevation
raster file - tutorial <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0-_ny4Cj9U>

--
María Ten Rodríguez

gvSIG 3D Blog: