[Gvsig_english] Call for Mac Community contributors.

Manuel Madrid mmadrid at gvsig.com
Thu Jun 2 18:07:21 CEST 2011

Hello.

El 31/05/11 10:44, Jordi Torres escribió:
> Hi Cesar et al,
> El 26 de mayo de 2011 16:36, Cèsar Ordiñana <cordinyana en gvsig.com> escribió:
>
>>  El 26/05/11 14:42, Jordi Torres escribió:
>>

>>   Just for curiosity, why is needed that approach in MacOSX? Is there any
>>> problems in the gvSIG JNI libraries?
>>>
>>>  The answer is that we do not have the binaires necessaries to execute
>> the jniCall. they are:
>>
>> libNCSEcw.so     libNCSUtil.so libNCSEcwC.so libNCScnet.so
>>
>> As far as I know they are propietary, and they never gave us the binaries
>> compiled for Mac O.S. at least for OSX series.
>>

>> Oh, I though gdal was using those same libraries to be able to open ecw
>> files. Do you know if gdal is supporting that format by itself?
>>

> Ok, we walked this path time ago.  So... Here we go!
>
> The first action we took was to register us and download ecw sdk form erdas
> site. Once we have the binaries we compiled against gvSIG jni-libraries. No
> problem during compilation arised, but unfortunately it did not work. After
> a week digging in the problem we didn't manage to get a solution.
>
> So the next step was to do a workaround. We downloaded a gdal compiled
> version from kyngchaos with ecw and mrSid plugins. We were loading ecw and
> mrSID files through Gdal after changing a few lines in libRaster. But we
> found another problem, the compilation of Kyngchaos was compiled against SDK
> 10.6 of MacOS (Snow Leopard). As you may know MacOS dynamic libraries
> support universal format, so you can compile for i386,x86_64 and ppc
> machines. But if you don't compile against the right SDK the abi could
> change and finally it could not work in O.S with different SDK's.  That was
> the point.
>
> The next step we did was to compile GDAL ourselves with ecw and mrsid
> support, using documentation from gdal and from kyngchaos. However there
> exists known problems in ecw plugin, it is not able to load layers bigger
> than 500 MB.
>
> Moreover we still cannot execute any gvSIG jni-library in full 64 bit mode.
> We guessed this problem would be addressed for gvSIG 2.0, and we had spent
> many time trying to fix it, so our decision was to hack some lines in
> libRaster.
>
> This is the full story.
>
> By the way, I have to step down from this working group, at least as the
> main collaborator. Some matters need my attention in my private life. I will
> try to collaborate in the future.

These are very bad news, Jordi. You're the working group leader and the
person who has a deeper knowledge about this distribution at this
moment. I hope you can resume your collaboration soon. Good luck!

Just in case... :) is anyone willing to lead the maintenance of this
distribution?

Regards,
Manuel.