[Gvsig_english] Basic projection issues

dhennessey dphenn at gwu.edu
Tue Jun 21 22:54:53 CEST 2011

Hello,

I'm a fairly novice GIS user trying to adapt from ArcGIS to gvSIG for
financial reasons.  While I seem to have managed the very basics of the
software, I cannot seem to properly alter the projection of my files.

At present, I am working with a single .shp file, borders for the countries
of the world.  The default for the file is a transverse mercator.  I am
attempting to convert it to a Gall-Peters, Mollweide, or really any
cylindrical or pseudocylindrical equal area projection for the time being.
So far all of my attempts either lead to the shapefile ceasing to display,
or being rotated about 15 degrees.  I have tried the help files and other
online documentation.  It would be appreciated if someone could lay out the
steps for reprojection simply.

Many thanks,
Dan