[Gvsig_english] Query on why gvSIG CE came about

Wolfgang Qual Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net
Thu Jun 30 17:29:04 CEST 2011

Dear all,
I am no programmer, and I was not aware of the CLA. Therefore, it is hard
for me to follow,
why one should / should not accept to sign that CLA. I simply would like to
understand why Ben is not willing
to sign this. No doubt that he invested lots of energy in gvSIG OADE, added
lots of suggestions for improving gvSIG, sent many bug reports to the
tracker. We had huge problems getting gvSIG working on our linux
distribution on our machines. The solution for our problems was brought by
him (some gdal library problem). And it was very well documented. Also, Ben
provided the gvSIG quickstart guide which I translated into German with some
adaptations for gvSIG 1.9. I just wanted to add this to the discussion.

And what about the other FOSS GIS applications (QGIS, GRASS, OpenJump etc).
Do they have a CLA? What does a CLA implict? Ben mentioned that it was hard
for him to get his changes into the official project. Why was it that hard?
Is it still that way? Is it that hard for "external" contributors to join in
the programming / developing of gvSIG?

Best,
Wolfgang