[Gvsig_english] Query on why gvSIG CE came about

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at gvsig.com
Thu Jun 30 17:48:11 CEST 2011

El 30/06/11 17:29, Wolfgang Qual escribió:
> Dear all,
> I am no programmer, and I was not aware of the CLA. Therefore, it is hard
> for me to follow,
> why one should / should not accept to sign that CLA. I simply would like to
> understand why Ben is not willing
> to sign this. No doubt that he invested lots of energy in gvSIG OADE, added
> lots of suggestions for improving gvSIG, sent many bug reports to the
> tracker. We had huge problems getting gvSIG working on our linux
> distribution on our machines. The solution for our problems was brought by
> him (some gdal library problem). And it was very well documented. Also, Ben
> provided the gvSIG quickstart guide which I translated into German with some
> adaptations for gvSIG 1.9. I just wanted to add this to the discussion.

I'm not neglecting his contributions and previous work. He has been a
great power user and brought here a lot of nice discussions and some
good contributions.

I'm sorry if I take that to a personal side, I beg your pardon. But I
won't be quiet to any direct and (in my opinion) unfair criticism to the
way we are managing and boosting gvSIG project.

> And what about the other FOSS GIS applications (QGIS, GRASS, OpenJump etc).
> Do they have a CLA? What does a CLA implict? Ben mentioned that it was hard
> for him to get his changes into the official project. Why was it that hard?
> Is it still that way? Is it that hard for "external" contributors to join in
> the programming / developing of gvSIG?

A quick search:

OpenLayers CLA

http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/wiki/CLA

Apache CLA

http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

Free Software Foundation

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AssignCopyright

More info at the link I provided previously and as always, at wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contributor_License_Agreement

Ben will explain his reasons, I'm sure.

--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas