[Gvsig_english] Shifting position of buttons

Kevin Wells kevinwells at utah.gov
Thu Mar 3 21:53:05 CET 2011

Georg,

I agree.  The changing locations of buttons are distracting and sometimes discouraging to users.

Currently, the user can turn toolbars off/on.  Also, the toolbars are dockable/undockable.
But the program determines the toolbar's location every time it appears.

I suggest that buttons and toolbars become gray and inactive when invalid, not disappear.
They would stay visible, but inactive, in the same location that the user placed them.
Then when they become valid the user will know exactly where to find them.

This would make gvSIG faster to use, smoother, and more professional.

Kevin

>>> georgsedlmeir <georg.sedlmeir at muenchen.de> 3/3/2011 8:45 AM >>>
Dear list,
when a user switches between different modes in gvSIG, for example by
activating the edit mode for a layer, or also by clicking a button to open a
dialogue, the position of the buttons below the menu bar changes a great
deal (i.e. the "show attributes or selected layers" button). I recently had
a talk with some colleagues who consider it cumbersome to go searching for
buttons in varying positions whenever and I think there's some truth to
that. It goes without saying that a menu bar handling most of gvSIG's
functionality can't be static, but maybe it would help if at least the basic
functions would remain in the same position during a session.
Maybe it would be an alternative to make the buttons' positions and
visibility configurable (grouped by functions) or dockable/undockable. Any
opinions or suggestions on this?

Best regards,
Georg