[Gvsig_english] Reproject raster layer

ernesto sferlazza e.sferlazza at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 13:11:44 CET 2011

Hello Ben,
> Benjamin wrote:
> Actually, gvSIG does use GDAL for raster projections.
> Unfortunately, the interface to the GDAL tools is
> a bit incomplete. So it is only possible to do a raster
> reprojection if both source and target raster use
> an EPSG SRS code. It won't work e.g. for a user-defined SRS.
> If gvSIG crashes like that, then it can only mean that
> an external tool or C library has crashed or aborted
> prematurely. E.g. if you try to reproject to a user-defined
> SRS. The Java machine never falls onto its face like that.

 I tried to transform from EPSG 32633 (WGS84 UTM 33) to EPSG 4326 (WGS84),
then I tried also  from EPSG 32633 to  EPSG:3004 (Monte Mario / Italy zone 2)
etc.
All tests were carried using standard EPSG codes, on different
computers (O.S.: Windows XP), different versions (1.10 stable, 1.11):
all caused crash.
Furthermore, the interface doesn't allow to chose the transformation
(for example NTV2 grid), while gdalwarp allows it.

> The whole reprojection engine in gvSIG really needs an
> update. That's also true for the EPSG database which is
> now several years outdated. Unfortunately, that's not an easy task.

I hope soon, not for me (I can use directly FWTools), but for novice
users and for the completeness of this surprising gvSIG package.
Best regards

----- Original 1st Message -----

--
ing. Ernesto Sferlazza
responsabile nodo provinciale di Agrigento del SITR Sicilia