[Gvsig_english] General Question: Adding WMS Server -> choosing the right/best EPSG

Mario Carrera carrera_marrod at gva.es
Mon Mar 21 09:44:13 CET 2011

Hi Marcel,

the SRSs available in a WMS layer are the systems of the area. In the
case of idee.es, about cartography of Spain, you will have ED50-UTM
(230xx), ETRS89 -UTM (258xx) and 4326 (WGS84-geographic) among others
("xx" will be from 28 to 31, the zones of Spain). They are the most used
SRSs here.

You can consult the EPSG codes on
http://www.scanex.com/en/software/scanmagic/SMD_SPC_ENG_SupportedCoordinateSystems.pdf.

About the right / best one to select will depend on the other
cartography that you are using on the same view. For example, if you are
working with a GPS in WGS84-geographic, you can load the WMS layer in
4326 if you don't want to reproject the GPS points.

Best regards,
     Mario