[Gvsig_english] Call for Mac Community contributors.

Jordi Torres jtorresfabra at gmail.com
Thu May 26 14:42:39 CEST 2011

> Just for curiosity, why is needed that approach in MacOSX? Is there any
> problems in the gvSIG JNI libraries?
>
> The answer is that we do not have the binaires necessaries to execute the
jniCall. they are:

libNCSEcw.so     libNCSUtil.so libNCSEcwC.so libNCScnet.so

As far as I know they are propietary, and they never gave us the binaries
compiled for Mac O.S. at least for OSX series.

> For gvSIG 2.0, we will need more testing but I think we currently support
> that one format might be supported by many different providers, so the user
> is allowed to select which one to use. For example, in linux when the user
> opens an ecw file, he could select if he wants to open it through gdal or
> the current direct provider. For mac, if the direct one does not work, it
> would not be included in the installation.
>
> You know, I am a hooligan of the new DAL library! :).

> That way we could have both approaches in the main branch. Well, in that
> case not even in the gvsig-desktop svn repo, as from gvsig 2.0 onwards, the
> raster support has its own OSOR project and repository where you could work
> also.

Yes, good point, and for gvSIG 2.x I am fully supporting to integrate as
best as possible O.S. dependent code. But not for gvSIG 1.x.

> And the UI changes, I think the main problem is related to panels which use
> absolute positioning, instead of relative positioning using any of the
> available standard swing layouts. If those panels are updated, I think that
> would solve another problem we have when the Look & Feel is changed, as I
> think it is the same problem you might have in macOSX. If we were lucky and
> that would be the case, we could use the new Nimbus L&F, much more
> interesting IMHO.

Yes, we did the job with docking skin, but unfortunately there are many
dialogs in gvSIG that needs changes to work with it.

And if that is not the case, and branching is the only way to go, as I said
> you could use the gvsig-desktop project repository also, I think it will
> make life easier for you.

I said it at the beginning, to work in gvsig-desktop repository is not a
problem, but we need the appropiate permissions.
Now I will leave others talk, as I don't want to monopolize the
conversation.. ;)

Cheers.

> Regards,
>
> --
> Cèsar Ordiñana Navarro
> gvSIG software architect
> DiSiD Technologies (http://www.disid.com)

Jordi Torres Fabra

gvSIG 3D blog
http://gvsig3d.blogspot.com
Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial
http://www.ai2.upv.es