[Gvsig_english] Call for Mac Community contributors.

Cèsar Ordiñana cordinyana at gvsig.com
Thu May 26 16:36:52 CEST 2011

El 26/05/11 14:42, Jordi Torres escribió:

>     Just for curiosity, why is needed that approach in MacOSX? Is
>     there any problems in the gvSIG JNI libraries?
>
> The answer is that we do not have the binaires necessaries to execute
> the jniCall. they are:
>
> libNCSEcw.so     libNCSUtil.so libNCSEcwC.so libNCScnet.so
>
> As far as I know they are propietary, and they never gave us the
> binaries compiled for Mac O.S. at least for OSX series.

Oh, I though gdal was using those same libraries to be able to open ecw
files. Do you know if gdal is supporting that format by itself?

>     For gvSIG 2.0, we will need more testing but I think we currently
>     support that one format might be supported by many different
>     providers, so the user is allowed to select which one to use. For
>     example, in linux when the user opens an ecw file, he could select
>     if he wants to open it through gdal or the current direct
>     provider. For mac, if the direct one does not work, it would not
>     be included in the installation.
>
> You know, I am a hooligan of the new DAL library! :).
>
>     That way we could have both approaches in the main branch. Well,
>     in that case not even in the gvsig-desktop svn repo, as from gvsig
>     2.0 onwards, the raster support has its own OSOR project and
>     repository where you could work also.
>

> Yes, good point, and for gvSIG 2.x I am fully supporting to integrate
> as best as possible O.S. dependent code. But not for gvSIG 1.x.

No, I think it would be much more difficult in gvSIG 1.x :( .

>     And the UI changes, I think the main problem is related to panels
>     which use absolute positioning, instead of relative positioning
>     using any of the available standard swing layouts. If those panels
>     are updated, I think that would solve another problem we have when
>     the Look & Feel is changed, as I think it is the same problem you
>     might have in macOSX. If we were lucky and that would be the case,
>     we could use the new Nimbus L&F, much more interesting IMHO.
>

> Yes, we did the job with docking skin, but unfortunately there are
> many dialogs in gvSIG that needs changes to work with it.
>
>     And if that is not the case, and branching is the only way to go,
>     as I said you could use the gvsig-desktop project repository also,
>     I think it will make life easier for you.
>

> I said it at the beginning, to work in gvsig-desktop repository is not
> a problem, but we need the appropiate permissions.

Rafa and you are already commiters in gvsig-desktop, so no problem in
that case, but if there are other volunteers out of the project, they
will need to ask for it.

> Now I will leave others talk, as I don't want to monopolize the
> conversation.. ;)

Ups, sorry Jordi, tell me something about the gdal ecw support, please. ;)