[Gvsig_english] differences foe developers between gvsig 1.11 and gvsig 2?

Cèsar Ordiñana cordinyana at gvsig.com
Mon May 30 18:54:24 CEST 2011

El 23/05/11 12:54, G. Allegri escribió:
> I'm evaluating the possibility to develop an extension for gvsig. It
> will take a while to be completed so I was wondering wether to
> implement it on the actual release (gvsig 1.11) or the next one...
> 1.12, or 2?
> I know that many changes and improvements are being made to the
> extensions mechanism, and in general to the various APIs. Some of them
> have been merged, but I don't know the APIs enough yet to easily
> understand if my extension would be affected by the changes in the
> next future.
> Could you help me to resume the status of the cahnges going on and if
> there is a release rodmap for gvisg 2? In short, should I work on 1.11
> or 2 APIs?
> Thanks,
> Giovanni

Hi Giovanni,

gvSIG 2.0 has just started the stabilization process, and our plan is to
release it in september. The APIs have been freezed since some time ago,
so you can develep with it now if you can wait to september, your plugin
should not be affected by API changes in the meanwhile.

If you can't wait or need any of the plugins that won't be initially
available when gvSIG 2.0 is released, you can develop for the 1.11
version. It also should not be affected when the 1.12 becomes available,
as only corrections and new functionalities are allowed, not API changes
(unless absolutely needed).

If you work with the 1.x APIs, you will have to make changes if you
migrate it to the 2.0. How many will depend on which APIs you use, for
example data access and persistence are new, but user interface related
ones haven't changed much. If you already plan to do so, we have made a
list of things to help in the migration:

http://www.gvsig.org/web/projects/gvsig-desktop/docs/devel/gvsig-devel-guide/2.0.0/howto-migrate-projects-to-gvsig-2-0

I would like to invite anyone who is or will migrate a plugin to gvSIG
2.0 to share with us any instructions or tips he has used in the process
so we can enrich the migration document.

Regards.

--
Cèsar Ordiñana Navarro
gvSIG software architect