[Gvsig_english] Call for Mac Community contributors.

Jordi Torres jtorresfabra at gmail.com
Tue May 31 10:44:50 CEST 2011

Hi Cesar et al,
El 26 de mayo de 2011 16:36, Cèsar Ordiñana <cordinyana at gvsig.com> escribió:

>  El 26/05/11 14:42, Jordi Torres escribió:
>

>   Just for curiosity, why is needed that approach in MacOSX? Is there any
>> problems in the gvSIG JNI libraries?
>>
>>  The answer is that we do not have the binaires necessaries to execute
> the jniCall. they are:
>
> libNCSEcw.so     libNCSUtil.so libNCSEcwC.so libNCScnet.so
>
> As far as I know they are propietary, and they never gave us the binaries
> compiled for Mac O.S. at least for OSX series.
>

> Oh, I though gdal was using those same libraries to be able to open ecw
> files. Do you know if gdal is supporting that format by itself?

Ok, we walked this path time ago.  So... Here we go!

The first action we took was to register us and download ecw sdk form erdas
site. Once we have the binaries we compiled against gvSIG jni-libraries. No
problem during compilation arised, but unfortunately it did not work. After
a week digging in the problem we didn't manage to get a solution.

So the next step was to do a workaround. We downloaded a gdal compiled
version from kyngchaos with ecw and mrSid plugins. We were loading ecw and
mrSID files through Gdal after changing a few lines in libRaster. But we
found another problem, the compilation of Kyngchaos was compiled against SDK
10.6 of MacOS (Snow Leopard). As you may know MacOS dynamic libraries
support universal format, so you can compile for i386,x86_64 and ppc
machines. But if you don't compile against the right SDK the abi could
change and finally it could not work in O.S with different SDK's.  That was
the point.

The next step we did was to compile GDAL ourselves with ecw and mrsid
support, using documentation from gdal and from kyngchaos. However there
exists known problems in ecw plugin, it is not able to load layers bigger
than 500 MB.

Moreover we still cannot execute any gvSIG jni-library in full 64 bit mode.
We guessed this problem would be addressed for gvSIG 2.0, and we had spent
many time trying to fix it, so our decision was to hack some lines in
libRaster.

This is the full story.

By the way, I have to step down from this working group, at least as the
main collaborator. Some matters need my attention in my private life. I will
try to collaborate in the future.

Cheers.

--
Jordi Torres Fabra

gvSIG 3D blog
http://gvsig3d.blogspot.com
Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial
http://www.ai2.upv.es