[Gvsig_english] [Gvsigce-community] gvSIG and gvSIG-CE, when will someone clarify the situation?

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at gvsig.com
Wed Aug 1 09:00:49 CEST 2012

El 31/07/12 20:34, Victor Olaya escribió:
> Jorge
>
> I understand that the naming might not be the best from the point
> of view of CIT and the gvSIG association, but most of the people
> understand that it is a fork and that there is no relation between
> CIT and the people behind gvSIG CE.

I respect your opinion but this is non sense to me. General audience
doesn't understand at all what a fork is all about.

Simon explained the situation very well, sincerely and from a point of
view really neutral: new users see two websites allowing to download
different binaries with almost same name. That's all and it's confusing.

With different names people easily can separate what both projects are
doing and understand that gvSIG CE is a different group of people
working in a different way, agenda, procedures etc that the gvSIG
project. It's so difficult to understand that confusion?

Check geotoolkit or libreoffice websites for examples of forks that
doesn't need to use the forked project brand to stand by themselves.

> At least for SEXTANTE users, I do not see much confusion created
> by gvSIG CE, but just the opposite, since now they have a reliable
> source to get SEXTANTE from and be sure that it is working as it
> should. As I mentioned in Girona, CIT was shipping 1.11 with a
> forked version of SEXTANTE (but under the name of SEXTANTE), and
> gvSIG.com has a SEXTANTE page[1] where it points you to a mirrored
> copy of v0.3 (!!!???). That causes much more confusion and has
> caused us quite a bit of trouble with users.  I guess a simple link
> to our website would have been much better, but that would mean
> acknowledging our work, which seems to be something that people at
> CIT are not very fond of lately...

Well, as far as I know (I can be wrong) it was a forked version of the
bindings between gvSIG and SEXTANTE engine, not comparable at all with
gvSIG-gvSIG CE differences. I mean, you are blaming a project because
they have adapted the bindings of your library to work with the software.

Regarding the gvsig.com reference to SEXTANTE, I think there won't be
any problem to update the links or reorder the contents, thanks for
the notice. Thinking that we are not putting a link to the SEXTANTE
website because we don't want to acknowledge your work is quite
awkward and unfair Víctor, but don't worry I'll update the website ASAP.

Best regards

- --
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
gvSIG Team at Prodevelop