[Gvsig_english] gvSIG and gvSIG-CE, when will someone clarify the situation?

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at gvsig.com
Thu Aug 2 08:49:08 CEST 2012

El 01/08/12 17:09, José Antonio Canalejo Alonso escribió:
> Hello Jorge,
> gvSIG was born without trademarks [1]. The owners of the copyright are
now different than the ones at the beginning of the project. Things have
changed a lot since the gvSIG incubator application request was sent to
OSGeo [1]. This link should be actualized and the actual situation of
gvSIG should be new exposed: names of all official committers,
relationships with commercial companies or products, patents,
trademarks, copyright, people actively contribute (code, documentation,
other?), actual sponsors, etc
> These changes about trademarks were never notified in this list. My
apologies if the name of the project is creating confusion. gvSIG CE was
created as many other projects with the name of gvSIG. After the
creation of gvSIG CE, we were informed about the existing trademarks.

Yes you are correct, I'll update the incubation information as it outdated.

But it's not the responsibility of the trademark holder to inform to
anyone about this, is your responsibility to take or what you are doing.
As you state many communities and groups use the gvSIG logo and brand
and as far as they use a fair use nobody will ever think on ban
anything. That can be said also on projects that cooperate with gvSIG
project like EIEL, Fonsagua, etc. But creating a new project that tries
to rest efforts instead of adding is a completely different matter.
Comparing them is almost naïve. Except yours, any previous fork of gvSIG
was done by technical reasons, and with no intention to replace official
gvSIG development.

> Instead of starting any expensive and painful legal action, we should keep on working,
producing good code like we are making now. Developers from gvSIG EIEL
and gvSIG CE made important contributions to gvSIG 1.10, 1.11 and 1.12.
> Let's keep working together in different repositories. We are more
effective and faster now than following the official procedures. More
contributions will come from gvSIG CE Team to gvSIG 1x.
> Otherwise, you have announced, the gvSIG Association will invest its
resources in gvSIG 2x. Let us then develop in peace gvSIG 1x. and
integrate SEXTANTE there as it should be done. No matter of we are
official or not. Do not try to make official a community, this will
never work.
> Best regards!
> Jose

gvSIG association is investing resources on releasing gvSIG 1.12.
Directly. And with the amazing support of gvSIG Association members, so
don't try to spread FUD about gvSIG project not supporting its current
stable release because it's NOT TRUE.

- --
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
gvSIG Team at Prodevelop