[Gvsig_english] gvSIG and gvSIG-CE, when will someone clarify the situation?

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at gvsig.com
Thu Aug 2 12:37:07 CEST 2012

El 02/08/12 11:11, Ruth Schönbuchner escribió:
> Dear Cèsar, list,
>
> regarding this issue in having effort for testing, translations,
spreading... i
> want to add that José and me put a lot of effort in spreading gvSIG in
Germany!
> For many years, we put our time and effort in doing presentations,
workshops on the
> different conferences like AGIT, FossGIS or Intergeo.
> We found a bugs that are well documented and we also work hard in
trying to fix them to improve
> the software and we send the patches to you to improve gvSIG!
> It would be impossible to work in real terms without local committers
(gvSIG has zero committers outside Spain).
> Changing gvSIG CE to another name would complicate this exchange.
>
> Personally I would prefer to discuss on how to improve the software
and on how to improve
> contribution between gvSIG Association and non-members.
> Maybe we can find a way?
>
> Best regards, Ruth

I'm with Cèsar on the public acknowledgement to your work, we are not
discussing or putting any doubt on your past commitment with gvSIG project.

But thinking that contributing to a project is just committing code is a
huge simplification. gvSIG has received contributions from people all
around in bug triaging, GUI translation, documentation, documentation
translation, and yes, also on code patches. In fact I've just closed a
ticket about a collaborator providing a patch and the CLA: quick and fast.

Things are as easy as we want to be, and reading some procedures and
asking for help when there is any problem is part of any engineering
process.

But as any process, can be improved so if you want to do any proposal
don't hesitate to do it here or at the Technical Steering Committee
list, but remember that we are talking about contributions to the gvSIG
Project; only when the contribution modifies the core projects of gvSIG
the CLA is requested in order to have one copyright holder of the
product (I don't know how many times I've had to clarify this point, but
anyway, I'll do it gladly as many times as necessary).

Cheers

- --
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
gvSIG Team at Prodevelop