[Gvsig_english] Gvsig Bug - Distance measurement tool: periodical function?

Gilles Delaunay delaunay at belziger-industriepartner.de
Thu Aug 1 19:02:10 CEST 2013

Dear users/developers of Gvsig,

I could not find a "submit bug" tracker in the Gvsig community, so I
assume this list is the right place to discuss a strange "feature" of
Gvsig which could be a bug.

My problem: the "measure distance tool" of gvsig behaves strangely, it
is unusable. It goes up and down as I increase the distance I want to
measure with the mouse.
For example: I click an "origin" point on the map, move a bit: the
distance shown at the bottom right of the GUI increases quickly. I move
further: it goes down. I move further: it goes up again, like a
periodical function. The function also seems to be periodical when I
change the angle of the distance measured (move the mouse without
changing the distance to the origin). I could not find any rationality
in the function: just ups and downs.
The function "measure area" from the GUI has the same problem (I guess
the "area" function uses the "distance" function). The functions "Area"
and "Perimeter" of the "Expression calculator" in the Table view have
the same problem. I assume they use the same (bad) functions.
NavTable shows the RIGHT values. The Buffer function of the SEXTANTE
plugin works correctly: I assume those plugins use their own (good)
distance and area functions.

I use Windows 7 Pro 32bit.
I have several versions of gvsig installed on my system, from 1.10 to
2.0., including CE and OADE. They all have the same problem (with many
many more problems and bugs for 2.0, but this is another story). I have
several versions of Java installed on my system: 1.7.0_25 and 1.6.0_26.
I tested both (disabled one of them in the Java control panel): it did
not solve the problem. I tested several coordinate systems: it did not
solve the problem.
I could not find any trace of a similar bug on the internet: am I the
only one in the world with that problem?

Your suggestions?
Do not hesitate to answer in spanish: I can read it, but my spanish is
not so good that I can describe a bug "en castellano".

Thanks

Gilles Delaunay
from Berlin