[Gvsig_english] Feedback gvSIG 2.0.0.2066 -- Add-on manager

Manuel Madrid mmadrid at gvsig.com
Tue Jun 4 15:12:26 CEST 2013

Hi Simon and Antonio,

El 04/06/13 11:23, Antonio Falciano escribió:
> Hi Simon, all,
>
> Il 04/06/2013 03:11, Simon Cropper ha scritto:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Operating System: Ubuntu 13.04.
>> gvSIG Version 2.0.0.2066
>> Java version: 1.6.0_20
>>
>> *Feedback*
>>
>> 1. The dialog title has a underscore in the name.
>>      I suspect it shouldn't.
>
> You're right. gvSIG ui has to be fully internationalized yet, so all the
> underscores mean missing translation at the moment.
>
>> 2. When selecting from alternative repositories from the drop
>>      down list associated with the third radio button. The
>>      radio button should be automatically selected once an
>>      alternative repository is selected.
>
> IMHO, when an installation mode different from "Installation from URL"
> is selected, the repositories drop-down list should not be active, just
> like the textbox related to "Installation from file".

Ok. Both Simon's and Antonio's solution would be good. We will fix this.

>> 3. It is unclear if the various repositories are mirrors.
>>      Some basic feedback to the user on this screen would help
>>      people understand when any of these option should be used.
>
> I like the idea that the URLs list should be updated remotely in order
> to clean it regularly and eventually set the best possible option, like
> http://downloads.gvsig.org/download/gvsig-desktop/, as the first available.
> This sounds like a further feature request! ;)

I agree it is necessary to give more information about what means each
URL. We are working on this in order to give a short description.

Our idea is to offer two different main options: the repository of a
specific build (containing only the addons available at the moment of
the release) and the generic repository of a version (containing all the
possible addons available for that version). The rest of the links would
be mirrors of the generic repository.

>> 4. The main category list should also include "not installed"
>
> I should add an "update" category too, because it's not always clear if you
> have installed the last version of something (e.g. Addons manager).

Ok, We'll study this.

>> 5. In the main category list you have "simbology" it should
>>      be "symbology". I suspect this would also be a good spot for
>>      the "symbol sets".
>
> IMHO "Symbology" category should contain all related plugins and
> symbols. Instead, "Symbols" type should be related to all symbol sets,
> as it is actually designed.

Agree!

> I add something else to this useful list...
>
> 6. I'd leave the operating system column and let gvSIG to understand on
> which os is running.

We were already considering this.

> 7. When some critical bugs about (experimental or not) plugins are
> fixed, I'd update the repositories more frequently in order to allow and
> encourage the users to continue the tests. Release early, release often! ;)

Thank you very much for your feedback!!

Kind regards,
Manuel.

--