[Gvsig_english] gvSIG 2.0 and sextante?

Cèsar Ordiñana cordinyana at gvsig.com
Tue Jun 4 18:55:28 CEST 2013

> 2) gvSIG 2.0 has the SEXTANTE geoalgorithms available in the toolbox
> (why they keep calling them "SEXTANTE algorithms" while they have
> removed the SEXTANTE name and icon from the toolbox...i do not know, I
> guess you should ask the gvSIG people). However, and as far as I have
> seen, they use the algorithms unmodified, but put on top of modified
> bindings. In other words, and as I have mentioned several times, gvSIG
> 2.0 has the most recent algorithms, connected to a fork of the
> SEXTANTE core. Modifications to the SEXTANTE core introduced ater this
> fork was created (which was prior to our 1.0 version) are not
> incorporated. I haven't had a real close look at the work done by the
> gvSIG people on that, so I cannot say anything about the stability of
> this mix...

Let me clarify a bit about that "sextante fork" you are always
complaining for.

In gvSIG desktop 2.0 the sextante library is used the same way as all
the many external libraries used in the project. When you install gvSIG
desktop 2.0, the sextante library jar files, including the sextante
geoalgorithms, the runtime and the user interface components are the
same ones as the files we downloaded from the sextante project. We don't
even compile them!

And yes, we have our own gvSIG plugin to integrate the sextante library
loosely based in the sextante plugin for gvSIG 1.x, but to call it a
fork of the sextante core, at least for me its not fair. Even less
taking into account we haven't touched a single line of the sextante
library code.

Cèsar Ordiñana Navarro
gvSIG software architect
DiSiD Technologies (http://www.disid.com)