[Gvsig_english] Problem gvSIG 2.0.0.2066 -- Export using Selection not working

Manuel Madrid mmadrid at gvsig.com
Wed Jun 5 14:42:22 CEST 2013

Hi Simon,

El 05/06/13 04:37, Simon Cropper escribió:
> OK Pau and Manuel,
>
> First, sorry I don't have a lot of time to report the issue directly.
>
> I am posting things as I find them as I am working on a job resulting in
> me already spending too much time on GIS activities. I am happy to
> commit time as I go along as working on actual data on actual tasks
> rather than test beds quickly highlights errors and problems.

Of course I didn't want to ask you for spending more time than you do
now. If you feel more confortable reporting on the list, keep doing it!

> In regards to my filter and export-filter problem...
>
> First, the problem seems to be with using ">=" and "<=". These
> operand-combo result in nothing being exported.
>
> If I select AREA > 3 I get say 12 polygons.
> If I select AREA >= 3 I get nothing.
>
> This happens on multiple shapefiles so you should be able to reproduce
> this problem.

Let's see if we can hunt this bug...

I checked this and the "only" problem I found is that the ">=" operator
is working exactly as "=" operator. Exportation seems to work properly.
I guess in your case the problem is that it doen't exist records with
AREA = 3. In that case, when you execute the query "AREA >= 3" really is
executing "AREA = 3" so no records are selected and, thus, when
exporting the "selected features" the result is an empty layer. Could
you, please, check this?

The rest of the operators, including "<=" seems to work ok.

> While we are on filtering I would like to make the following comments.
>
> The 'filter' menu option should really be called "select based on
> specified criteria". If you were filtering a shapefile then only those
> features that meet the criteria would be visible and be editable. This
> is not the case... filter just selects certain features based on a
> certain criteria.
>
> The filter dialog, when presenting numbers shows those numbers in
> floating and scientific format. For example, I have numbers shown as
> 100000000 and 86.00000000000E7. This is very confusing especially as the
> E7 or whatever is actually hidden in the dialog box. Numbers should be
> presented in the form they are present in the table (not randomly
> reformatted) and the dialog box scaled so you can see all the number.
>
> Also, when exporting and selecting "Filter" in the "Export Options" the
> filter dialog box should appear when clicking in the "Free filter" box.
> Who can remember all the fields in the table? Most newbies would also
> need reminding of the standard operands used. As I remember historical
> versions of gvSIG had several ways of formatting criteria -- some for
> 'filtering' and some for selecting out particular labels. Criteria
> construction should be consistent throughout the application.
>
> There is also a box in the export wizard called "Predefined filters". I
> checked all menu options and the preferences and could not find where I
> could predefine filters. If this is only available for certain files
> types then it should be hidden or disabled when exporting shapefiles. It
> is just confusing.

I agree with all these suggestions. Thanks.

Best,
Manuel.

--
Manuel Madrid.