[Gvsig_english] Feedback gvSIG 2.0.0.2066 -- Stable or Beta?

Antonio Falciano afalciano at yahoo.it
Wed Jun 12 17:19:21 CEST 2013

Il 11/06/2013 01:31, Simon Cropper ha scritto:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Operating System: Ubuntu 13.04 (using Gnome Classic Interface).
> gvSIG Version 2.0.0.2066
> Java version: 1.6.0_20
>
> **FEEDBACK**
>
> Having used gvSIG v2 for the last week I wonder whether it is
> appropriate that it is flagged as the latest release with a few "known
> errors".
>
> I must be unlucky as I have stumbled on many such errors and wasted
> quite a lot of time trying to work around various issues. Editing in
> this version caused data corruption over and over, on different
> shapefiles sourced from different locations.
>
> In the end, due to time constraints, I have reverted to using gvSIG
> v1.10 and using other open source applications (QGIS and GRASS) to
> complete what at best would be called basic spatial work.
>
> Personally, I think this version should be flagged as "Beta" as it is in
> no way stable enough to be released into a production environment.

Hi Simon,
IMHO these words explained well the situation:
"Also it has to be taken into account that the level of stability of
this new version is not as high as we would have wished, considering it
a final version in order to be used by the community in an official way,
and mainly to tackle the new developments on it." [1, 2]
I would not suggest to use gvSIG 2.0 in production right now, however
we have to consider that the actual level of stability is a bit higher
than two months ago (BN2066), thanks to the continuous efforts of
developers and users like you. Many thanks to all!

Cheers,
Antonio

[1]
http://listserv.gva.es/pipermail/gvsig_internacional/2013-April/008824.html