[Gvsig_english] The non-spanish speaking gvSIG-community - do we have be to worried?

Victoria Agazzi vagazzi at gvsig.com
Mon May 20 10:52:01 CEST 2013

Hi Wolfgang!

> Automatic translation (google?) does not really work for me.

I can tell you that with other collaborators, we used to make a "fast
translation" with the translation tool from google, and then some of
them made a review of that, in order to improve the texts. This worked
in order to make a quick progress. Mario can tell you more details
about, if you are interested.

> But the original topic of this discussion was the mailing list. I would
> strongly encourage you all to use the english language. Otherwise, the
> biggest part of the non-spanish-speaking community will feel excluded, not
> invited. Speaking english would be a great sign for "us".

Well, the same could be said about the big Spanish-speaking community of
gvSIG, if English start to be used as the exchange language. That's why
I think that having community groups in order to support all the
languages that interest, could be the best solution. But, of course,
there should be people committed to work on each community group. I
think that the creation of a English-speaking community group (gathering
all the gvSIG people that wants to power the English language on the
project) with their coordination group, goals, road map, etc. would be
the best bet.

Let's think about...

On 17/05/2013 14:40, Wolfgang Qual wrote:

> Hi there again,
>
> "We have to involve community not only because of limited resources, but
> because we are an open source project."
> ... and the project (as an open source project) should profit from the
> community. Why is it working in the case of QGIS? Barriers should be
> removed, it should be as easy as possible to collaborate. And language is
> one of these barriers. But I do not want to go on your nerves.

I prefer thinking about languages as a bunch of opportunities, instead
of a barrier. I think that language is one of the most important key of
culture, and I want (is my personal opinion) to respect the language and
culture from the gvSIG people. I think that technology should be for
make our life easier, and not for making us "all the same". But, I
understand and *respect* that each of us has different ideas on that
matter. The important thing is to discuss and try to get points of
contact for improving gvSIG.

> I agree that talking alone will not resolve all issues, but it would
be the
> first step. Let's talk in the same language. The gvsig-planet is
great! Many
> thanks to those who are willing to publish their experiences here. If
you do
> it in English, even better! Maybe it is not necessary to set up a new
wiki.
> Use a blog and link your blog to the planet.

One thing that we should not do is to "oblige" people to write on one
language or another. If gvSIG people from Brazil feel comfortable
talking in Brazilian Portuguese, I will not be the one who will ask them
to talk in English, believe me.
Again, I think that translation tools go enough in order to read and
understand the content of a blog post.

For the gvSIG blog (http://blog.gvsig.org/) we are trying to get all the
new content published about the 2.0 version features in English as well
as in Spanish. I think that this will help to have some kind of
documentation in both languages, for the 2.x branch.

> And then: maybe there are some geeks who are willing to set up a nice
> frontpage for the gvSIG portal. Or use that outreach-page (it looks far
> better than gvsig.org): http://outreach.gvsig.org/case-studies

Yes, but the outreach has a lot of less content than the gvSIG portal.
Maybe it seems more organized, but I think that is a matter of quantity
of information.
The gvSIG portal needs a re-factoring, we know that, but once again,
lack of resources set that issue with low priority.

Regards,
Viqui-.