[Gvsig_english] gvSIG errors

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at gvsig.com
Tue Oct 22 10:37:55 CEST 2013

El 19/10/13 08:55, Ravi Kumar escribió:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55790728/shape-files/gvsigError.pdf
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55790728/shape-files/INDIA_boundary_arc.shp
>
> Hi,
> 1. the shape file works OK in gvSIG 1.2 with a CRS automatically set
> and units in metres.
> 2. In gvSIG 2 it opens in a CRS improper.
> 3. any attempt to modify CRS results in an error.
> 4. Even buffering coastline with 10000(10km) throws an error.
> Where am I going wrong ??
> Ravi Kumar

Hi Ravi,

As I told you on my preivous mail, the point is the CRS.

On gvSIG 1.12 the default CRS of a view is EPS:23030 (see the bottom
right of your screenshot). This CRS is Universal Transverse Mercator
Zone 30 North for the European Datum 1950. This was the default CRS for
gvSIG as was the most used CRS in the Valencia government. In fact
nowadays is not any more as we moved to ETRS89 datum.

Anyway, on gvSIG 2.0 the default CRS is a more general one, EPSG:43206
but this is in lat/lon coordinates.

So, if you don't know on which CRS is your data, and it's ok to you to
asume it's in UTM you have to do the following:

- Open gvSIG 2.0,
- Create a new view
- Go to View->Properties and clic on the CRS properties button [1]
- Select the EPSG database (1), enter "23030" on the textbox and press
enter (2), select the filtered CRS and clic Ok(3) [2]
- Load the shapefile, take note that the "EPSG:23030" is "assumed" [3]
- The shape file should be available[4]

Please, take in account that your data probably is not in UTM, as India
is so big to be represented on that projection but maybe for your
purposes you can ignore that.

Hope it helps

[1] http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/8366/gyxn.png
[2] http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1315/5b81.png