[Gvsig_english] Geo4All Webinar Series Friday December 2 7:00 PM GMT FOSS4G at NREL

SERGIO ACOSTAYLARA sergio.acostaylara at mtop.gub.uy
Thu Nov 24 18:07:07 CET 2016

?Hi everyone,
On Friday December 2 at 7:00 PM GMT (12:00 PM Colorado time) we will have the next presentation in the Geo4All webinar series.
Please join at:
https://ucdenver.zoom.us/j/173408130

If you can't attend, presentation recording will be posted in the Geo4All YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1E2akvCNWP_nC0p5CpB8g

FOSS4G Tools for Geospatial Analysis at the National Renewable Energy Lab: A Pragmatic Approach
Presented by Nick Grue

The proliferation of geospatial analysis tools and methods means that no matter what your analysis goals, there are likely several options for running analysis, generating data, and visualizing your results. With a wide selection of tools to choose from, you are also presented with the question of which tool is most useful, has highest performance and efficiency, and easiest to use for your case.

Here at the National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL), we had the unique opportunity to start fresh with building a new analysis model, and had to decide which technologies would be most useful. We eventually ended up primarily using Python for analysis, and PostGIS and Geoserver for visualization. Deciding on those tools took a fair amount of testing and comparison. This webinar will discuss the different tests we ran, our findings, and why some tools appeared to be better suited for our case than others.

Analysis tools discussed in this webinar will include PostGIS vector analysis, PostGIS raster analysis, Python analysis of vector datasets, Python vectorized analysis of raster datasets, Python multiprocessing, and Geoserver visualization.
[http://www.geoforall.org/resources/images/Grue_photo.jpg]

Rafael Moreno, Ph.D.
Department of Geography and Environmental Sciences
University of Colorado Denver
Office: North Classroom 3524, Auraria Campus
Campus Box 172
1200 Larimer Street NC 3524
Denver, CO 80204
Phone: 303-352-3762