[Gvsig_english] Edit in distant PostGIS database - Version problem

Jonathan Boudreau Jonathan.Boudreau at fadq.qc.ca
Wed Aug 22 21:48:15 CEST 2007

Hi all,
I have to edit a multipolygon layer on a PostGIS database in gvSIG. I use the polyline tool, as I have to digitize irregular areas. I did some tests previously in gvSIG version 1.0 and  everything worked just fine.

I tried the same operation on the exact same database with gvSIG 1.0.2. When I stop editing, an error occurs caused by a constraint on the geometry column in the database:

enforce_geotype_the_geom CHECK (geometrytype(the_geom) = 'MULTIPOLYGON'::text OR the_geom IS NULL)

This constraint is created automatically when importing shapefiles in PostGIS with shp2pgsql or when using the PostGIS addgeometrycolumn function.  Without this constraint, the polyline is saved as... a polyline! The same error occurs with the polygon or rectangle editing tools but not with the circle or ellipse tools. The latter two draw directly polygons.

For now, the solution is easy as I can keep working with version 1.0, but I would like to keep using the latest version of gvSIG as much as possible. The solution of removing the constraint is not a valid option as I really have to work with polygons. Is there any other way to do this operation in gvSIG 1.0.2?

Looks like the same problem was resolved for shapefiles previously. See improvements in Version 1.0 RC2 (11-10-2006)
http://www.gvsig.gva.es/index.php?id=1219&L=2&K=1

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan Boudreau
Analyste en géomatique
La Financière Agricole du Québec
Direction des ressources informationnelles
1400, boul. de la Rive-Sud
St-Romuald, Québec
G6W 8K7
Tél: (418) 838-5614 poste 6024