[Gvsig_english] SEXTANTE for Mac OS X

hoanqui at ono.com hoanqui at ono.com
Tue Oct 23 08:26:11 CEST 2007

Hi Marcel,

>I'm on osX 10,4,10.  I installe gvsig in my application folder.
It's
>work fine... At least at preliminairy test.  I try to install
>sextante.  Unfortunately,  autodetech dosen't work and when I try
>manually, gvsig in my application folder is in grey.  So impossible
>to link it.

Yes, that is a known problem. SEXTANTE's installer can't cope with the
kind of directory structure (bundle, package) that OS X uses for its
applications; so we are in the process of customizing SEXTANTE's
installer or our bundle's structure so "it just works".

>What I find strange it's that no gvsig program is install.  With
the
>install only a gvsig folder is create in my user account with 2 xml
>file.  To access gvsig I have to put the install in my application
>folder.  At start a new window open.. with gvsig... Maybe it's the
>way gvsig work... the install also the program.... strange.  Maybe
>it's why sextante doesn't find gvsig or maybe sextante can't be use
>with osX (hope not).

In keeping with the Macintosh tradition, gvSIG uses no installer;
"gvSIG autoinstall.app" is the gvSIG application, but if necessary it
will offer to install whatever it needs on its first run. So you can
put gvSIG.app wherever you choose;  the Applications folder is the
typical place, of course.

>Also.I try to go inside the bundle to locate gvsig. I copy it and
>change the place of it.  Double clic start the program without the
>install past (only one icon in the dock).  After that I try to link
>sextante to it... without result also.

Again, the problem is that SEXTANTE's intaller does not understand OS
X bundles.
That being said, if you are in a hurry to try SEXTANTE and don't want
to wait for us to release a OS X-specific (or OS X-aware) solution, you
can use a workaround:
--locate the folder gvSIG_autoinstall.
app/Contents/Resources/gvSIG/gvSIG.app/Contents/Resources/Java
--move it to a "normal" folder, outside any bundle
--use SEXTANTE's installer on that "Java" folder
--move the "Java" folder again to its original place

Note that this way, SEXTANTE installs, but not all of its
functionalities are readily usable in OS X. For example, SEXTANTE's
command line depends on sextante_cmd.jar, which get installed in said
Java folder and so is not immediately executable in OS X. Sextante_cmd.
jar's related shell/batch scripts are installed there too, and need
minor edits to be usable.

Anyway, we expect to have a full, proper OS X solution as soon as time
allows.

Best regards.