[Gvsig_english] New set of North arrows symbols for Gvsig

grossosilvio grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Sat Jan 5 23:12:27 CET 2008

Hello everybody,

I would like to donate for free 50 North arrows symbols to the Gvsig’s
community  in order to make it possible to include the best of them for
everybody in some next releases of gvsig.
In this respect, Arcgis 9 at the moment has more than 95 symbols and you
can rotate and colour them at will.
I think it would be nice to increase the number of the 8 Gvsig North
arrows as well.
Perhaps, in the future it will be possible to colour and rotate them
too. At present, to colour them your are forced to do this with Inkscape
before importing them in gvsig.

To get to the point, I drew all my images with Inkscape and saved them
as pure svg format and I can use them in the map for my work.
Nevertheless , at present, I have two problems related to the svg format
(everything works fine with the png).

The first one is that none of the fonts for the text that I have tried
works: arial, times new roman and so on. I even tried the fonts used by
the North arrows symbols in the folder of gvsig!
I tried both the inkscape svg format and the pure svg one as well. On
top of that, I tried others softwares to change my images (e.g. sketsa
5) to no avail. If I don’t use a text font for my symbols but I
“imitate” them with some lines everything works fine (for example, for
the letter N I drew 3 lines). I know is not “elegant” at all but,
unfortunately, I haven’t found any other solution using Inkscape.
Is there someone can help me out?

The second problem happens when I copied in the default folder for the
North arrows of Gvsig my 50 symbols because  there is a blank space
instead of my symbols, but I can load my images anyway by
double-clicking on that at random because I can't see their preview.
I named the images gvsig_1, gvsig_2 and so on in order to avoid future
problems of translation towards different languages. They are ordered
alphabetically in the folder along with the other Givsig's North arrows
Maybe some Givsig’s guru knows the trick to make the images visible in
the box of the map?

Best regards

Silvio Grosso

P.s: I attached a jpg file with an image of the folder of gvsig with the
blank spaces and five of my North arrows symbols that are not visible in
the preview of the folder but are imported fine in the map by
double-clicking on them.