[Gvsig_english] Some questions regarding printing

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Fri Jul 25 14:25:21 CEST 2008

Hello everybody,

I am using gvSIG since 2007 and I really like the
functionality regarding the map.
Actually, I started using gvSIG for its map options
(in 2007 Quantum had many problems about printing).
In the Quantum Gis web site the map printing was voted
in a poll by the users as the most important thing to
improve... At present, this improvement will be
probably added in the upcoming 1.0 version planned for
September.

I think the map functionality is really important in
the open source arena because Grass is not strong in
this field and a software like gvSIG could fill this
gap.
In my view, a large majority of the Gis users must do
simple things and the printing of the map is often
necessary.
At present, many power users use Grass (at least in
Italy where ArcGis is widespread everywhere).

I am a little disappointed about the decision to not
fix all the Map bugs in the upcoming version.
On the other hand, I am perfectly aware there are
other priorities at present.
Besides, I think many bugs regarding the map are not
easy at all to fix.

In my opinion, the most important thing to add in the
map is the option to save the map as image (e.g. as
jpeg, png, tiff).
Once you get an image you can trasform it into a pdf
(Scribus is very handy to do that and the next 1.3.5
version is going to rock!).
At present, the only workaround I am aware of is to
take a screenshot of the map with Gimp or other
sofwares in order to produce an image.
In Quantum gis and ArcGis you can save the map as
image.

This being said, I am really eager to try the next
gvSIG's version even though I am a little worried
about the rise in the bugs total.

In conclusion, I would like to thank all developers
for their work.
Especially, Mario Carrera for his work regarding the
translation of the manual.

Best regards and keep up the wonderful job.

Best regards

Silvio