[Gvsig_english] Some questions regarding printing

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at gmx.net
Fri Jul 25 14:40:43 CEST 2008

Hello Silvio,
[...]
> In my opinion, the most important thing to add in the
> map is the option to save the map as image (e.g. as
> jpeg, png, tiff).
> Once you get an image you can trasform it into a pdf
> (Scribus is very handy to do that and the next 1.3.5
> version is going to rock!).
> At present, the only workaround I am aware of is to
> take a screenshot of the map with Gimp or other
> sofwares in order to produce an image.
> In Quantum gis and ArcGis you can save the map as
> image.
[...]

I do not know about the *quality* of the exported image files of QGIS and
ArcGIS. I fear that it might be not as good as what would be needed when you
want to give it to a professional. You might also have problems regarding the
scale of the map. Therefore, I would expect that an export format like ps
would be better. And do not forget svg. This would make it possible to make
some edits afterwards. Maybe someone else could give some input on
a) planned features of gvSIG regarding this issue
b) features of other GIS software tools (like ArcGIS)

Best,
Wolfgang