[Gvsig_english] gvSIG and Java on Mac OS X

Agustin Diez Castillo Agustin.Diez at uv.es
Sat Oct 18 10:38:34 CEST 2008

Hoooorray
Ben's bundle + script works here. What I did:
I downloaded soylatte [1], ben's bundle and ben's script. Unzip soylatte, put the jai
stuff from /System/Library/Java/Extensions/ and the jai that comes with gvSIG
(~/Library/Java/Extensions/jai_imageio.jar) into soylatte .../jre/lib/ext, edit ben's
script for my environment and uncomment soylatte and launch the script.
Why I think this is marvelous?
Now I can work remotely in my office machine (ram loaded) with my meager MacBook and use
all the data I have in it.
how?
I edit etc/ssh_config & /etc/sshd_config in the remote machine.
ssh_config

    #ForwardX11 no
by
    ForwardX11 yes

sshd_config

    #X11Forwarding no

by

    X11Forwarding yes
and from a X11 terminal ssh -Y myremotemachine -l myuser
Thanks a lot Ben, you did my week.
Can I share your bundle with others?
[1] http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/static/soylatte/
INFO AWT-EventQueue-1 com.iver.cit.gvsig.IntializeApplicationExtension -     gvSIG locale
language: es
INFO AWT-EventQueue-1 com.iver.cit.gvsig.IntializeApplicationExtension - OS name: Darwin
INFO AWT-EventQueue-1 com.iver.cit.gvsig.IntializeApplicationExtension -     arch:i386
INFO AWT-EventQueue-1 com.iver.cit.gvsig.IntializeApplicationExtension -     version:9.5.0
INFO AWT-EventQueue-1 com.iver.cit.gvsig.IntializeApplicationExtension - JAVA vendor: Sun
Microsystems Inc.
INFO AWT-EventQueue-1 com.iver.cit.gvsig.IntializeApplicationExtension -
version:1.6.0_03-p3
INFO AWT-EventQueue-1 com.iver.cit.gvsig.IntializeApplicationExtension -     home:
/Users/gore/Downloads/soylatte16-i386-1.0.3/jre

> El 17/10/2008, a las 16:21, Benjamin Ducke escribió:
>
> > OK, this all sounds promising and straight-forward.
> >
> > Indeed: the SoyLatte JRE runs on X11, so for anyone to use this
> > version,
> > they have to:
> >
> > 1. Make sure X11 is installed
>
> I seem to remember it was installed by default in OS X 10.4 (Tiger),
> and maybe even without option in 10.5 (Leopard)
>

> > 2. Live with the fact that it looks like an X11 app (So what?)
>
> You know, (we) mac people can sometimes be a bit obtuse ;). And the
> difference is harder to notice if you come from other platforms.
> But I am sure there will be people willing to stand the ugliness /
> lack of integration.
>

> > I will "unbundle" things as you suggested. I will also give it some
> > more intensive testing. If that's useful for you as well: all the
> > better!
> >

> I hope it will be useful for other mac users. So if I can help in any
> way, please let me know.
>

> > Is there a way for my shell script to know it's own location in the
> > file
> > system, so it can figure out all needed paths?
> >

> thisDir="${0%/*}"
> (I use that in (inner bundle).*/Contents/MacOS/preJava)
> Also, running a bundle is supposed to prepare a couple of variables
> (mapped to environment variables?) pointing to the interesting dirs.
> Try to dump them in the shell to look for them.
>

> > For this week, I will give it a rest and resume work on it on Monday.
> >
> > Thanks a lot again for all the help and have a nice weekend!
> >

> Nice weekend!
> (please remember to test native libraries' functionality, like loading
> a TIFF. And some screenshots would be very interesting - is it Aqua-
> like or Metal-like?)
>

> > Ben
> >

> >> In the *.app/Contents/Info.plist you'll find an entry pointing to
> >> the actual file to be executed (which is supposed to be inside
> >> *.app/Contents/MacOS). And that file can be a shell script.
> >> Now, you don't need the complex bundle structure we have been using
> >> for gvSIG <2. You only need the inner *.app bundle; the "outer" one
> >> is only to check for and install JAI-ImageIO if needed. Which is
> >> not your case because you already put it into SoyLatte.
> >> (gvSIG 2 will also do without the outer bundle, since we have
> >> learnt that JAI-ImageIO causes Firefox and Opera to die when
> >> use it as an extra .jar in the classpath)
> >> (remember to take out the jai-imageio.jar from your ~/Library/Java/
> >> Extensions !)
> >> A hopefully minor problem will be that you won't be able to "osx-
> >> ize" the user experience as much as with the Apple-provided
> >> JavaStub. Expect problems with the app icon and name while running,
> >> for example. (or maybe SoyLatte has already been prepared for
> >> that?...). I think you could overcome that by creating your own
> >> substitute of the JavaStub, with a little Cocoa program which would
> [...]

Dr. Agustín Diez Castillo
Departament de Prehistòria i Arqueologia
Phone:   +34 963 86 42 42
Avda. Blasco Ibañez, 28   Fax:      +34 963 86 42 34
València 46010