[Gvsig_english] gvSIG and sqlite spatial support?

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Mon Apr 20 13:06:45 CEST 2009

I would really love to see SpatiaLite support in gvSIG, as well!

I don't know how much extra work it would invoke, but I imagine
extending the PostGIS data provider to also support SpatiaLite should
not be too hard, as the two systems use very similar approaches.

QGIS already supports SpatiaLite, OGR support for it is evolving and
there has at least some interest been voiced in support for
GRASS GIS, as well.

SpatiaLite could become THE file-based open standard for GIS data
storage and exchange. We would then finally be able to pass data
between different open source GIS without information loss or the
necessity to do annoying conversions. We would also have a free
choice to work file-based (SpatiaLite) or using a client/server
system (PostGIS) with essentially the same capabilities.

Ben

silvio grosso wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am wondering if there are any plans to support sqlite in the future?
> More precisely, about sqlite, I mean the version with the spatial support. That is, right now, the software spatialite 2.3.
> For anyone interested in taking a look at spatialite the link for its web-page is: http://www.gaia-gis.it/spatialite/index.html
>
> Currently, I am aware all developers efforts are necessary to release gvSIG 2 :-)
> Nevertheless, in the future, with an improved OGR spatial support for sqlite, it would be really great to use it.
>
> At present, I am starting trying Qgis 1.1 on Linux (the developer version) with spatialite enabled and I must confess it is really promising (no need to install Postgis anymore...).
>
> By the way, Qgis 1.1 (now the developer version) is going to have the support for creating charts and diagrams.
> At present, gvSIG doesn't have this option. Nevertheless, I read in the roadmap gvSIG is going to support this feature in the future too :-)
>
> In conclusion, it is really magnificent to see the Open Source GIS softwares reach the commercial software's regarding all the features needed for an average GIS user :-)
>
> Best regards and keep up the wonderful work
>
> Silvio
>
> Best regards,
>
> Silvio

Benjamin Ducke