[Gvsig_english] Translation of the gvSIG documentation to English

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Fri Jan 29 09:26:11 CET 2010

As a neutral non-native English speaker I'd like
to remark that today's British English spelling
is in no way longer established or more widely
used than North American spelling. The Webster's
and Oxford Dictionaries have an equally long
history and similar degrees of acceptance.

In fact, much of modern British spelling has been
intentionally developed to look French-like,
as that was the fashionable thing to do a hundred
years ago -- in the case of "English" English.

Be that as it may, though, gvSIG's internationalization
engine allows for all variants of English spelling to
be present. In gvSIG 1.9 there is currently a choice
between "English", "UK English" (which are the
same) and "US English". If no Americans take
offense with that, we can keep it that way ;)

Maintaining differences between a main "English" set
of translation strings and variants like "US" is
trivial.

Much less trivial is the fact that many strings in
gvSIGs source code are still not exposed to the
internationalization engine, because they are hard
coded as Spanish strings.

A thing a concentrated effort here could go a long
way towards improving the user interface.

Cheers,

Ben