[Gvsig_english] QUESTION gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- Eclipse Setup on Ubuntu

Jordi Torres jtorresfabra at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 10:56:23 CEST 2010

Hi Simon,

Eclipse don't need to be installed in linux. You can run eclipse in any
directory if you have the appropiate permissions. As Cesar said the folder
.eclipse/ only contains user information.

Cheers.

2010/7/5 Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) <
scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au>

>  Hi,
>
> I know this is not really a forum for Eclipse questions but I am trying to
> get this IDE operational so I can start developing java/python/jython tools
> for use with gvSIG.
>
> My question is relatively stupid but some of you may have resolved it. Is
> anyone aware of how you can get Eclipse to install in some a directory other
> than your home directory?
>
> When I installed using synaptic it installed in ~/.eclipse. I am trying to
> keep programs out of the home directory and would like to put the program in
> some other directory - like /opt, which is used for the gvSIG OADE program.
>
> My aspiration, and I am nearly there, is to only have personal files or
> configuration files in my home directory. Company data files on separate
> partitions and software in a separate locality. This way core configuration
> files can be readily backup using packages like rsync.
>
> It is worth noting hear that the standard install for gvSIG is in the home
> directory. Ideally the program should be placed in a separate directory and
> the configuration files put in ~/.gvsig, which appears to be standard in
> Ubuntu, rather than the current format.
>
> --
>
> Cheers Simon
>
> Simon Cropper
> Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd
> PO Box 160, Sunshine, Victoria 3020.
> P: 9311 5822. M: 041 830 3437.
> mailto: scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au<scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au>
> web: www.botanicusaustralia.com.au <http://www.botanicusaustralia.com.au>

Jordi Torres Fabra

gvSIG 3D blog
http://gvsig3d.blogspot.com
Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial
http://www.ai2.upv.es