[Gvsig_english] Map Scale

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Sat Nov 6 16:32:56 CET 2010

Hello, Kevin:

I've been trying to make sense of the scale values provided by gvSIG when using feet as the map unit, and have also experienced a strange behavior. The scale seems to work fine in the view, but when creating a map (layout) with it, it does not make sense for me either.

In case somebody wants to test it, here is a WMS service that uses feet as the map unit:

http://gis1.oit.ohio.gov/wmsconnector/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/osip?

The true length of the building seen in this image is about 110 meters:

http://gis1.oit.ohio.gov/wmsconnector/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/osip?REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&LAYERS=50&SRS=EPSG:102723&BBOX=2481555.9699062333,1124765.0365067134,2482132.8341791052,1125240.8262702362&WIDTH=469&HEIGHT=387&FORMAT=image/jpeg&STYLES=&TRANSPARENT=TRUE

but when creating a map (for example using A4 page size) the scale does not show a sensible value.

As for the SRS, the server calls it EPSG:102723 but it's actually ESRI:102723.

Regards,

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio
---
Prodevelop SL, Valencia (España)